« ExploreLearning Wins Codie | Main | MIT Students' Dorm Room Automation System »

May 22, 2006

Class "Name Generator" Tool May Aid Math Students

Having a computer program randomly select student names for the teacher to call on appears to help students pay more attention and prepare more for class according to this University of Florida study.

It's easy to overlook the impact the "low-tech" stuff, like a simple randomizer program, can have on the classroom.

Posted by ExploreLearning at 01:39 PM in Edu/Tech | Permalink

Comments

I use the "wheel of misfortune". Just a paper or transparency spinner with all of the students' names. I spin it and allow it to pick the next victim...I mean volunteer. I agree that sometimes "low-tech" is the way to go.

Posted by: Jennifer | May 22, 2006 10:01:12 PM

Jennifer,

I love that name "The Wheel of Misfortune." And what a great low-tech idea.

Posted by: Edward | May 23, 2006 10:02:03 AM

I love low key as well. I use a deck of playing cards. Each one has a student name on it and I simply deal the next card. The beauty of this is that I never need to keep track of students called on. The used cards go back in the box and the unused are rubber banded together for the next lesson. When the deck is used up I shuffle (the kids get very anxious) and start dealing again. It's fantastic!

Posted by: Jeff Koenig | May 29, 2006 11:01:36 AM

Jeff,

That's also a super low-tech solution. Thanks for sharing.

Posted by: Edward | May 30, 2006 1:34:19 PM

I also have used the playing card method! However, some of the kids told me that when I shuffled, I was making some of the names go to the top. I started using a small and portable electronic card shuffler, and it works great!

Posted by: Jack | Aug 19, 2006 2:19:55 PM

how do I make a random name generator? can I use word perfect, power point, or excel?

Posted by: James Willis | Oct 7, 2006 6:21:51 PM